More than half a million homes and businesses were today identified as the first victims of the Coalition cuts to the National Broadband Network.
Shadow Minister for Communications Jason Clare called on the Coalition Government to stick to its word and honour existing National Broadband Contracts whilst the NBN Co Strategic Review is underway.
“Before the election Malcolm Turnbull promised to honour existing contracts, now he has broken that promise” Mr Clare said.
This week 500,000 homes and businesses that previously had a date on which they could expect fibre-to-the-home broadband to be connected were quietly moved to a list entitled “TBA”.
“This week Tony Abbott and Malcolm Turnbull have pulled the plug on half a million homes and businesses that were expecting to receive fibre to the home. They are the first victims of the Coalition’s cuts to the NBN.” Mr Clare said.
“The Coalition Government needs to stick to its word, honour existing contracts and let workers get on with rolling out the NBN.” Ms Rowland said.
WEDNESDAY, 30 OCTOBER 2013
CONTACT: RYAN HAMILTON – 0414 599 468 (CLARE)
NICK TRAINOR – 0407 078 138 (ROWLAND)