Today the Abbott-Turnbull-Morrison Government doubled down on its damaging record on the NBN and ABC by reinstating Senator Mitch Fifield as Minister for Communications.
Mitch Fifield backed three different Liberal leaders in as many days, last week, and was today aptly described as a “weathervane”.
Whether it’s a move to turf a PM, a deal to attack public broadcasting or a knee-jerk reaction to soaring telco complaints, Minister Fifield has shown he stands for nothing, has no vision and scant regard for evidence.
Fresh from knifing a PM, Senator Fifield offers nothing to this government’s so-called “fresh new team”, but rather a face for their broken promises on the NBN and ABC.
Here are a few fresh things Senator Fifield could do:
- Adopt and implement Labor’s NBN Service Guarantee;
- Reverse the Liberals’ unfair cut of $83.7 million to the ABC;
- Drop the three One Nation Bills designed to meddle with the ABC;
- End the years of delay on spectrum reform; and
- Resign his membership of the IPA, an organisation that advocates privatising the ABC and halting construction of the NBN.
Having deposed the bloke who supposedly invented the internet and having resigned his post only to be sworn in again today, this Minister does not bode well for Australian citizens and consumers.