THE HON. JASON CLARE MP
SHADOW MINISTER FOR COMMUNICATIONS
MEMBER FOR BLAXLAND
MICHELLE ROWLAND MP
SHADOW ASSISTANT MINISTER FOR COMMUNICATIONS
SHADOW MINISTER FOR CITIZENSHIP AND MULTICULTURALISM
MEMBER FOR GREENWAY
ONE YEAR SINCE ABBOTT’S “NO CUTS TO THE ABC AND SBS” LIE
Today marks one year since Tony Abbott stared down the barrel of a camera in Penrith and lied to Australians about his plans for the ABC and SBS.
Speaking on SBS News the night before the election, Tony Abbott said:
“No cuts to education, no cuts to health, no change to pensions, no change to the GST and no cuts to the ABC or SBS.”
Since that lie Tony Abbott has cut more than $240 million from the ABC and SBS.
He abolished the Australia Network despite the fact that the network was reaching up to 167 million households, giving our important Asian neighbours and the world an insight into Australian life and values.
The budget papers described this cut as a “down payment.”
Last week Malcolm Turnbull said there were more to come and these cuts would be “substantial.”
In the space of one year the Abbott Government has gone from “no cuts to the ABC or SBS” to “the savings being sought from the ABC and SBS are substantial”.
Tony Abbott lied to the Australian people and it is clear that you can’t trust him.
For more information about the Abbott Government’s broken promises visit: www.abbottslies.com.au
SATURDAY, 6 SEPTEMBER 2014